Cooking Stock

These are the two jars of cooking stock I ended up with after I processed that pork shoulder and helped along a left-over meal.  This stock is the product of a couple of previous efforts.  First, we had beef ribs for Easter, and the bones were used for stock.  That stock got another round of simmering with a bit of bone from a chuck steak.  Next, I made Jambalaya.  That started out with some chicken stock in a crockpot, in which I cooked a breast and a link of Andoullie sausage.  Two thirds of a jar of stock remained from that meal, and that was part of what got tossed in with the batch of stock made from the pork shoulder.  Once you are using all sorts of different meats/poultry in the mix, you have a hearty all-purpose stock you can re-incarnate for many different dishes.

This was Sunday dinner.  We had a healthy portion of the Jambalaya that needed to be loosened up.  The stock did the job just fine.  Also, there was a bit of dough remaining from making a pizza the night before.  This is part white and part white whole wheat flour.

It was a truly delicious dinner!  Best of all, there is still that extra stock, as well has half a chicken breast and half a sausage, which can be used for another batch of andoullie in the near future.

Part of the appeal of not relying on a recipe, and cooking with whatever you've got, is that one delicious meal often leads to another.  It doesn't hurt that this is cheap too.  I think relying solely on a specific recipe to make a solitary meal is a waste. You'll never see us signing up for a meal delivery service.  Not only does it make no sense financially, IMO, you miss out on a lot of flavor by making each effort a stand-alone affair.

My message is not to be afraid to throw together a pot of junk -- something delicious can certainly come from it!

Comments

  1. That reminds me of the week I kept the crockpot going continually and was cooking all sorts of meat in it. I never strictly use any recipe. Your blog makes me ravenous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some day when I have more counter space, the crock pot will be going all day, all week, like forever!!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I think that's part of the reason my pup is always looking to be fed. She smells cooking all of the time!

      Delete
  3. Years ago, for my birthday, my husband bought me a pressure canner (not and Instant Pot, this is what I have https://www.amazon.com/Presto-01781-23-Quart-Pressure-Canner/dp/B0000BYCFU) because I was water bath canning quart jars of applesauce like crazy with all the apples falling on our lane. Pressure canning is quicker with quart jars. In any case, when I got comfortable pressure canning, and decided I wasn't going to either blow us all up or give us botulism, I started canning my own stock--let me tell you that nothing makes a soup or gravy so good as home canned stock. The beauty of canning it is that it is shelf stable. I figured the only thing the stock cost me was the cost of gas on the cooktop to can it. I didn't label the jars beyond the date, so sometimes I used chicken stock or turkey stock, and even beef interchangeably.
    I rarely do stand alone meals either, most of mine are made with an eye towards a redux.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this tip! I have wanted to can but the traditional method scares me. I'm also afraid of botulism. I am going to look into this!

      Delete
    2. If you follow the USDA recommendations for pressure amount/time, you will be perfectly safe. Also, you can only get botulism from low acid foods. So, to start off, you might try high acid foods like blackberries (jam) and apples. Believe it or not, apples have more acid than many varieties of tomatoes, and are considered safe to be canned in a boiling water bath! Tomatoes, on the other hand, should be pressure canned, unless you are absolutely sure of variety.
      This is the best book I have found. https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=ball+canning+book&qid=1588266383&sr=8-4

      Try it!!!! If you are like me, you'll do something like make some jam with foraged blackberries, and then you will be hooked!

      Delete

Post a Comment