I Was Right...

I know people thought I was crazy for making face masks when this virus first started making the national news.  Our dining room table was a mess for over a week.  I dug up old fabric, stained cloth napkins and anything elastic I could spare.  TBG certainly thought I was crazy. 

Now that we have been asked to wear a face covering in public, he's not questioning this project any more.  We don't have to cover our face if we are out alone, but if we are in a store or other public place, it's required.  If we are walking and someone approaches, we have to put ours in place.  There is no fine for disobedience, but stores won't let you in with out one.  So, I was right on this one!

This was our stock of cold medicines at the start of the year.  I developed a brutal cold while on vacation, which I passed to TBG.  We used up about half our stock of Mucinex, but there is still enough to spare.  In the back of my mind, I wonder if my cold could have been the COVID virus, as it has thought to have been in circulation much earlier than originally thought.  I believe I picked up my malady either on the plane or at the resort.  Never before had I had a cold that caused shortness of breath. And the headache was brutal as well.

Trying to find cough medicine and immune aids was very difficult a few weeks back, but now seems to be less of an issue.  I am just glad I had already stocked up on the stuff.  Having paid just a buck for each bottle, I believe this stash of goods saved me over one hundred dollars.  But best of all, I had it on hand when disaster struck.  Right on that one too!

My daily log of activity and receipts came in very handy once the pandemic broke out.  In the early days, the nightly local news reported on the new cases, and where the person had been.  They listed locations and approximate times.  I was able to go back to my book and look at my register receipts to see if I had been in the same place at the same time.  That certainly gave me peace of mind.  And going forward, if I should have the misfortune to be infected, I can report my where-abouts as well.  No Google/Apple app required!

I think our society has had problems in part because they weren't acting sensibly as a normal part of life.  OK, maybe my practices could be considered a tad bit extreme.  But in these cases, it paid off!

Comments

  1. Since I keep a supply of Mucinex and pseudoephedrine, I don't think you are at all extreme. Plus, with receipts I, too, know where I have been most of the time. I did get more of each in case I need it or Tommy does in the future. However, I do get the Mucinex with only the guaifinesen (sp?) so I do not get a does of something for a condition I do not have, like fever. Just because your records do not show you had been where the virus was, does not mean that it was not there, just undiagnosed. We think alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have many of the same approaches! We're being told gloves aren't helpful, but I wear them because anything I touch could have germs on it. I wear them until I'm done wiping down purchase, and slip them off according to medical practice. They get washed (as well as my hands) right away.

      TBG takes baby aspirin daily as part of his post-heart attack regimen. I made sure to stock up on that with a mind to making sure we had that on hand too. It's to prevent blood clots -- which is really what happened to his heart when he had his cardiac episode. Can't be too careful at this point!

      Delete
    2. Just today, I was prescribed a baby aspirin as well as other meds because I have two blocked arteries and chest pain. I do not want to be in a hospital anywhere for anything right now. I have 120 coated aspirin enough to last 4 months, so I will get more in two weeks or so. I need more pseudoephedrine, too.

      Delete
  2. I sure wish they would make masks mandatory everywhere except outside here too - hardly anyone wears them, I feel like a bank robber every time I put mine on (I might make another though as mine feels too much like a diaper). I bought one of every otc we normally use at Costco (first trip since first week of March) the other night. It was mucho expensive but now we are good for months! Last month I stocked up on food, this month otcs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still see people without face coverings. Some stores say they won't enforce it -- so I won't shop there. Now there is talk of meat and poultry processing plants closing. I wasn't planning to shop until Monday, so if there is any chicken left, I might stock up then. I felt a little less foolish being the one wearing a mask because I was wearing a more fashionable version!

      Delete
  3. I do a bullet journal and wish I had your self discipline for this. I consider my blog a journal and recording of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging really does help a lot! I have used it to retrieve pictures of things I needed too. It really does help me keep track of when I did things so I know if it's time to do them again, etc. But for this instance, it really does help!

      Delete
  4. A few weeks ago, I had shared on FB a post from a guy from Twitter that said in 10 days the CDC was going to require everyone to wear face masks. It was flagged, almost immediately as false news. lol. Now, here we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet they let our nit wit leader spew all sorts of virus inaccuracies!

      Delete

Post a Comment