Pandemic Purse

I keep this small purse in may car with supplies to stay germ-conscious in public.  It was made up before we were ordered to stay at home and well before we were told to wear masks.  It contains a home-made mask, package of gauze (there's a pocket in my mask to hold it), sterile wipes and latex gloves).

This pandemic scared me before it became a really big deal.  I had wanted to stop going to the pool but was told that I was paranoid.  Luckily, it was closed officially, so I had an "excuse" not to go.  It's funny how we can be guilted to doing something even if it makes us feel uncomfortable.  I wasn't looking for a reason not to exercise, I was actually scared.  And not just for myself.  Most of the patrons present when I am there are seniors, many of whom have serious health issues -- which have now been proven to drastically effect morbidity from the virus.

My first masks were made four weeks ago and people thought I was weird. Boy was I relieved when we were finally told to wear them.  I didn't feel so strange being out with face protection on.

We hear a lot and see news stories about people who are intentionally ignorant.  I consider our president willfully ignorant!  Then there are some who are seen as just over-reacting.  I'm one of those people who want to be safe, but will let that go if society is set on convincing me I'm being paranoid.  That's why I think it's necessary to put out these public orders.  Not just for the people who are naive or uninformed -- but to make it more acceptable for cautious individuals act safely without fear of ridicule.

I hope we're all taking the confinement orders and face covering advisories seriously.  There aren't many times in our lives where we get to be selflessly kind and considerate of others.  Let's take advantage of this opportunity to do so!

Comments

  1. I was buying stuff in the middle of February, maybe sooner, preparing for this. Tommy did not know what to think. I refused to go to church before his church shut their doors. He said I was paranoid. But, I don't care what people say. I always carry a bag to the car, a Publix shopping bag. It usually has water, oj, pb crackers, and sale papers. Until this last week, it had a sweater when I did not wear it. Now, it also has a cannister of Lysol wipes, masks in a plastic bag, nitrile gloves in another plastic bag.

    When it comes in the house, it has the same thing plus mail, his prescriptions, my prescriptions and the food/water he did not consume.

    Now, I never carry my purse into stores. I take in my card or Tommy's plus the cannister of Lysol Wipes.

    We were right to be concerned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find wipes for the carts at the supermarket anymore. Yes, they are being sanitized, but they might still collect germs -- so I think gloves are a must. I am getting sick of the smell of Lysol!

      Delete
    2. Lysol Wipes made my hands itch, break out, then dry out. I feel safe when I smell like Lysol...lol. I cam back to tell you I love the color of that purse.

      Delete
    3. It is kind of nurse-appropriate! Both TBG and I are fighting really dry skin on our hands from all this disinfecting :-(

      Delete
  2. I have a few strong words about our President. Hubby and I only go to town once a week. And take all precaution to keep us safe and other.
    What scary I am person or in home care giver and they don't take steps to keep there self safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nightmare scenario is we both get sick. So it's worth it to try double hard to stay safe!

      Delete
  3. We stocked up when we thought hubby still had to travel for business around the 10th of March. Mom also shut herself in at that stage. That was way before people were careful. One of our neighbors who we mostly like said everyone was over reacting and hand sanitizer had brought on the whole thing?!? Makes no sense but she said that. Bloody hell, I am glad we over reacted. I would have made face masks sooner but have so little sewing talent :) So many less people would have died if more people had over reacted instead of acted like ignoramuses. On that note, Happy Easter lol :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment