Pork Shoulder, Part 1

I spied a marked down pork shoulder - picnic cut, for $2.93.  It was just short of three pounds and loudly marked .99 cents per pound.  Most people would shy away from the cheap cut, but not me.  Having a sous vide and a couple of days meant this would be a great value.  After 40 hours at 145 degrees, along with some seasonings, olive oil, and Jamaican ginger wine, we had a tender hunk of meat and a small jar of flavorful gelatinous juice.
The big hunk of fat on one side was no deterrent for me.  I cut slits into and around it and shoved in seasonings.  Since fat equals flavor, this slab of blubber did double duty as a tenderizer and flavor bomb.  We never avoid fatty cuts of meat because when it comes to flavor, fat is where it's at!
The fat was cut up into chunks and crammed into a jar.  While many might think it ghastly, this is a nutritious snack for the pup.  Now, if we were feeding a commercial grain-laden dog food, adding something as rich as this would be asking for an attack of pancreatitis.  However, since we feed real food -- fresh meats and veggies, our girl can digest this goop just fine.  Fat is the primary source of energy for canines, so she will burn this up for sure.  Now that she has cancer, eating fat is especially important.  It is high in calories and it provides energy -- but cancer can't use it as fuel for growth.  Since we are constantly battling skin issues, having the extra fat also helps her coat and fur.   Right now, she is skin and bones, so the extra calories really are needed.
This is what we ended up with for us: four slices to make for a nice main portion (probably two meals for each of us), and a container of chunks that will be used in stew, terriaki, etc.  A guestimate is that these portions will provide four main meals.  Not bad from a three dollar hunk of meat.  And that gelatinous gunk will serve as a nice flavor base for the upcoming meals.

There is now talk of meat shortages due to the pandemic.  It's helpful to know ways to use these less desirable cuts of meat.  The stuff that others pass by serve as the mainstays of our culinary life.  With the right tools and enough time, cheap can be made extra tasty.

Stay tuned for the next chapter of this pork story!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any way you can save on meat is a big deal and the fact you can use the fat for your pooch is even better. I am trying to use less meat right now in preparation for higher meat prices to come. I don't love fish but hubby does so if meat goes through the roof I will do beans and rice (he has a hard time digesting beans) and he will do fish and rice with veggies for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, we are well stocked on half priced salmon. I even found marked down trout this week, which is in the freezer! Even though we have a store of meat, I am now buying it when I see it, since a shortage really is now a possibility. I can't find turkey necks for the pup but have had some luck with chicken thighs. I do hope there is not also an egg shortage!

      Delete
  3. We all always look into discount meats. those mark down items makes might good meals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read one of those articles on-line talking about what to never buy, and marked-down meat was on the list. I was also on a discussion group where a chef piped up to tell me that stock was not a way to dispose of garbage. Bah! Culinary purists can't live on a budget, that is for sure. For the most part, the only meat I'll buy is marked down, and I'll never let flavor go to waste.

      Delete
  4. I have not seen markdowns lately. However, I did get bscb for $1.59 last week. The only chicken breasts in the store I went to today was $2.68 for chicken tenders. Tomorrow, I will get more bscb to fill the tiny freezer and kick the bread and cake out. That is great you can feed all three of you such cheap and healthy meals. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely buy breasts but picked up a large tray this week because it was $1.49 per pound. Those were not marked down, but on sale. I just figured they wouldn't take up as much space in the freezer, since we may have to rely on stocked up meat after the next week or so.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment