Setting up a Sick Bed

I have read that it's important to isolate sick family members who contract the virus.  Even if we are both sick, the advice is to separate in order to lessen the viral load.  Of course that meant I had to develop a plan!  First step was to make up a care basket for TBG to use.  If we both get sick, I'll still be the one to do the cooking and take care of the house and the dog.  He'll be going down the basement and into isolation!

There is a futon in the basement which is made up and ready to be used, if needed.  There is a bathroom downstairs and he can wash up using the utility sink.  I've supplied his with hair/body wash, toothpaste and a brush, deodorant, etc.  I'll get a plug in cooler for him and also set up anything else we think he'll need to get by.  He can wash his clothes but I'll stay away from the washer and dryer. I have enough underwear for a couple of weeks and I'll be able to hand wash too.

I dug out our stash of disposable utensils and dishes.  That way I won't have to wash dishes for him while he's contagious.  I'll need to pull a good quantity of meat for the pup out of the freezer, but think I'll be able to get by for a week or more using the room we have upstairs.
I'm hoping we don't need to use this, but if we do it is ready to go right away.  Since I stocked up on cold meds already within the last year, we have enough on hand to medicate throughout this.  If he has his phone charged, he can text me upstairs if he needs anything.

Our house is pretty small and it is just the two of us.  We only have one bathroom upstairs and would cross infect each other for sure.  While I don't think we'll contract COVID, I think it pays to be prepared.

Have you set up separate isolation areas for possible family member infection?

Comments

  1. We have a spare bedroom although the rest of it is tricky. One suggestion I saw online was to stock up on gatorade, we did just in case as those with it have said the fevers make them so so thirsty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a can of powdered Gatorade, which I will serve him if he gets it. I can't abide by the stuff at all! Another must will be a bag of ice to keep liquids cold -- and easier to drink (I know, I'm a total American). Keeping the pup away from him would be the hardest part!

      Delete
  2. Tommy's house is small and has a bath and a half and three bedrooms. He refuses to allow me to use the half bath. And, that bedroom is full of boxes that I cannot move. Well, if either of us are ill, this ban on the bathroom will go out the window if I have anything to do with it. He sleeps in his recliner in the living room with the ac blowing across him and hitting me. I could keep him out of the kitchen by getting his coffee..lol. He does nothing else in there. It would be tricky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The advice I read on-line is mostly ignorant of those that live in small spaces. I do know it's a big issue in NYC where the living units are really super small. Let's hope we all stay well!

      Delete
  3. I hope you don't need to use any of your sick supplies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I and I hope you and your loved ones stay well too!

      Delete
  4. It project I could also been doing. Thanks for sharing it. Lot of common sense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned a lot by listening to people who've been through this. In other words, I also know what I need to pester TBG to be doing if he's down there recovering!

      Delete
  5. I hope you never need to utilise your plan! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! But I did also do a bit of picking up down there, so it's all good!

      Delete
  6. I actually had this discussion with my husband way back in February as I saw the future of this whole thing back then. I preceded our talk with "I'm going to talk crazy to you for about 10 minutes." lol. I figured that our master bedroom would be the sick room since it has it's own bath. It also houses our walk in closet so whoever is not sick would have to take all their clothes out and toiletries as well. I bought a thick clear shower curtain to staple or tape over the doorway to the master bedroom so we could still see and talk to each other and pass food underneath it. I bought a big bottle of aspirin, Cold Eez, cough syrup and lots of ginger ale. We have a small cube fridge that could be put in the room and an extra coffee maker. Like you, I also thought of paper plates, bowls and plastic cups because they are disposable. We would put a garbage can outside the bedroom window. I even talked about turning off the air conditioning or at least blocking the vents to the room. Not sure if germs can spread through a heating/cooling system. Yeah, I was that crazy, but now it doesn't sound like it so much, does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it if you have a filter in your system, you should be OK. But I'd want to turn it off too. Apparently, the affected person gets very chilled, so a lot of blankets would help if you didn't use heat. I hope neither of us has to implement our plan!

      Delete

Post a Comment