Still Stocking Up

Although we're only supposed to be shopping for essentials, I am still stocking up -- but not on items I think there is a legitimate community need.  Last week Aldi had seven trays of salmon marked half price.  The product is marked down if it hasn't sold close enough to the sell by date.  Clearly, the demand for this is not high.  So I grabbed it all.  It's in the freezer, so now we can stick to eating at least one healthy fish meal per week.  Salmon for three bucks a pound is too good of a deal to pass up!

I stopped in to Rite Aid on my way home from Aldi and picked up this face wash as it was BOGO half off.  I normally only go for BOGOF or better, but I'll be using this stuff to add to dog shampoo for the pup.  Salycilic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide are each ingredients in the various mite prevention dog shampoos I have seen.  I won't use both at the same time, but will add a couple of squirts of one or the other to a dog shampoo for each of our thrice weekly baths.

I have been able to cancel Teddy's allergy shot as all the grooming has kept her skin in good shape.  We are skipping vet visits too as she needs a physical exam and the doc is only doing telemedicine visits.  He needs to feel her lymph nodes and measure them, which he can't do over the phone!

Once at home, I am dutifully spraying the mask and gloves I wear, plus the shopping bags I use in disinfectant, and then washing in hot soapy water.  Each item I buy is wiped down as well.

I  know we should only be buying essentials, but if I am out, I am going to make the most of it.  Everything I buy is useful, so I don't feel as if I'm taking consumables away from others in a selfish manner.

Comments

  1. That is the way I shop. Yesterday, I bought shampoo, double pack of deodorant, and hair color. Although I wanted more bscb, I only bought one. You can have all the salmon. I am glad your dog is more comfortable. And, getting supplies for the dog is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad people like you pass on the salmon -- that means more for me! Teddy is much more comfortable, but still not happy about all of the grooming.

      Delete
  2. I think this is going to last a long time so you do have to go beyond the essentials. I couldn't buy sugar anywhere until I finally went to Costco then had to buy a huge bag of it(I am ok with that as have the storage). I am starting to shop like I normally do. Even the odd bargain, although I did get 1 extra of all of our OTC meds last night but that just saves us at least $150 in the long run versus buying at smaller more expensive pharmacies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, if I have to buy a huge bag of anything, I'll just split up the excess and share with neighbors. I know they'll do the same for us. Or I'll make packages up for TBG to give to the guys at work. It's just been so hard not to go out and pick up things I want, when I want them! I worry about two months from now if the supply chain is interrupted. I don't know why our president doesn't send the army out to the farmers to transport the fields full of crops they are now destroying because they have no way to get it to market. Our system is f***ed!

      Delete
  3. I can't see any problem with buying food or toiletries. It's not like you're going out and buying high heeled shoes or rhinestone trimmed knickers. Jon's just had to go out and buy tobacco, essential to him (and me, stops him sulking!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And wine is essential too! Actually, I know a recovering alcoholic who was worried they'd close liquor stores. Not that he'd drink (but we're doing plenty of that), but because people who are addicted to it could die if they did not have access to it.

      I can't imagine being a smoker and having to suddenly have to go without it. I know we are supposed to want people to give up their vices, but cold turkey is brutal!

      Delete
  4. I would have grabbed that salmon in a hot minute. Love it. We have salmon for dinner at least a couple times a month.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment