Who Is Spending?

We have double-digit unemployment in the US right now, with over five million jobless claims apparently being made already in April.  Talk of the economy is pitted against the importance of public health.  Through it all, we see many Americans can't afford food and won't be able to make rent or mortgage payments.  Yet, plenty of folks are spending $350 a piece on ear buds... I just don't get it!

Who are these people?  I can't imagine any set of earbuds being worth that much money, but laying out that much at this point in time?  This just astounds me.

We are fortunate here at the Microcosm.  TBG is working and we already live a frugal life.  Our investments have lost a lot.  I  believe we've seen a bigger drop in funds than most folks even have saved -- so that must mean we are more fortunate.  Our big government check was used to pay off the card balance for the purchase of our car.  That essential means we replenished our savings a bit.  Anything new will be put off unless absolutely necessary because we don't anticipate any financial pinch now, but know it will be part of our future in a couple of months.

There are things I would like to have and might pull the trigger on and purchase -- but only if this recession goes on and the price hits rock bottom.  For us, that wouldn't be jewelry or ear buds, but rather a new computer, or maybe a circulating unit to add on to our hot water heater.

As for now, we are being as cost-conscious as ever, and marveling even more than ever at those who purchase high priced gadgets and non-necessesities.   But really, who in their right mind would think it sensible to spend $350 on ear buds????

Comments

  1. We are not spending anything we don't need to right now. Grocery is a bit higher but we are not eating out. Hubby is having a hard time not shopping more than me but we are on reduced salaries and the future is so uncertain even if we have money in the bank we are not spending it. Some who are so sure their jobs are fine now may find that down the road they too will be unemployed. Big companies are having trouble rolling with the punches and the financial fallout will be for at least 2 years or more. Hubby is starting to come around to thinking we might pause insurance on one of our vehicles since we are hardly driving, even if it is for a month or two that would save us some money. I guess just making sure every cent we spend is thoughtful is the most important thing for us now. I keep seeing advertisements for new vehicles with no payments for 6 months. Unless you are already wealthy (and then don't need payments) or a senior with a secure fixed income (and even those aren't that secure due to investments) I wouldn't even dream of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some finance terms in the US go for 72 months! And I've read that dealerships are refusing to take back cars at the end of the lease unless the driver is buying another car. They say they must extend. So, some of the state District Attorneys are getting involved. Really, who would buy a car right now?

      I hope you weather the storm well. You live sensibly, which will help a lot!

      Delete
  2. I cannot imagine earbuds being so important. However, there are people who do not seem to be in tune with reality and might buy earbuds even if they do not pay bills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "regular" shopping channel price is $429, so at $349 the hosts were saying they were a steal!

      Delete
  3. I am half way looming for a newer vehicle but am hoping to keep the old car til I find a really great deal. Possibly new but most likely a slightly used vehicle but certainly nothing with a 6 year loan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing there will be a glut of used cars on the market once this ends -- lease returns that have been accumulating, as well as re-possessed cars. We bought ours just before the panic and I don't regret it, but I better six months from now there will be great deals. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. This is exactly what I have been thinking. I've babied my current car for the last couple of years and hope to get a few more months out of it.

      Delete
  4. I thought ear buds were those disposable things that Johnson's make for babies, that's how out of touch with real people I am! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they are a big thing. They never fit in my ears right, so I don't wear them. Give me old-fashioned head phones any day!

      Delete

Post a Comment