A Terrific Day for Teddy

Teddy had a pretty terrific day.  We headed out on our usual industrial walk, and spied an open path through some of the pampas grass when we were at our turn-round point.  Feeling adventuresome, I decided to see how dry the ground was.  After determining it was solid, we walked on through.  I'd never been in that huge open field along the river before.  There is a gravel road that goes around it which we reached and then stuck to. She got to run back and forth to her heart's content.  There's a gate I'd noticed before, further up to road, that has a private property/no trespass sign.  Oh well, that's where we exited.  This is definitely a walk I'll take again. If I get stopped, I'll point out where I got in and that it's not signed.  Now TBG can't wait to check this area out too.  I just love giving her the opportunity to really run and romp around.

Today was veggie slop day.  Lucky for Teddy, asparagus and strawberries are in season.  This batch also has broccoli stalks and four over-ripe oranges.  It took me quite a while to grind this all up, then even more time to mix in all her cancer support supplements.  This is a huge pain, but I think it's a big part of how she manages to stay so healthy in spite of being a year and a half past her initial diagnosis (and without treatment).  Mostly this stuff was the ends of the veggies.  Asparagus are $1.99 a bag, so I grabbed two.  We have the heads for us.  Broccoli crowns were $1.29, so I also got two.  The crowns are for us.  She did get two containers of strawberries because they were $1.49 each.   I also had some asparagus stalks in the freezer from a couple of meals last week.  I always save scraps for her.  She eats very well "for a dog," which might seem shameful with so many folks in need of food, but for the most part she really does eat our scraps.

I had expected the girlie to be jonesin' in the kitchen while I was grinding her veggies, but she preferred napping in the sunshine. Can't say I blame her.  All this made for a pretty good day in her book -- a walk/romp, basking in the sun, and a half dozen jars of fresh fruit and veggie food.  What a life!

ps. don't tell her, but she's getting a haircut and a bath tomorrow....

Comments

  1. She looks happy in the sun. She does eat well. My chickens got scraps from the farmer's market and from dumpster diving. They got mangoes and all sorts of people food. They were happy chickens and laid very good eggs. They also never had a molt except for a feather here and there getting loose. Feeding your dogs scraps will not help a child eat. But, it is interesting that with no treatment for her cancer, she is looking and doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to work with a young lady who kept chickens and cared for them like you did. Happy chickens lay delicious eggs, that much Iearned! As for Teddy's cancer, luckily, it is not an aggressive sort, but it normally strikes around 8-9 years of age. She was diagnosed at 11. She's now 12.5. Some dogs live as long as four years without treatment. Since the average Golden Retriever lives to 10, I guess every day is a bonus one. I sure would like to get 14 though. I do think that the majority of kids out there wouldn't be that interested in broccoli and asparagus anyway...

      Delete
  2. She's gorgeous! Always lovel;y to see Teddy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty much the perfect dog day. I had to shave Buddy's face yesterday then wash it as he had a bath 2 days prior but has been in something stinky with his snout. Then last night hubby noticed I didn't shave his cheeks evenly so today I need to fix that. Supposed to get hot this weekend so while I am at it I likely will trim more off his body. If Buddy was a man he'd have a fuzzy chin after 2 hours, that is how fast his hair grows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to post the hack job Teddy got this morning. It generally takes me three sittings or so to even things out and get to it all. Then a week later, I have to go at it again!

      Delete
  4. So happy for
    Teddy's great day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment