Avoiding the Avoidable

I voted in the school board election by mail, because that is the way the process is being conducted.  Based on what I am seeing around me, I think I'll vote by mail the rest of the year.  The process seems pretty fraud proof to me -- fill out and sign my ballot, then put it in a special envelope, which I also had to fill out and seal.  That envelope went into the postage paid envelope provided by the town.  This is even more secure than how I previously did an absentee ballot -- I voted that way in my first presidential election in 1980, and in subsequent others in college.

I have ventured out into the world beyond the supermarket and have seen some questionable behaviors.  On Sunday, we took the pup for a swim and on the way home were almost run off the road by a huge convoy of motorcycles and ATVs.  They were popping wheelies, weaving, driving against oncoming traffic, etc.  I don't know what they meant to prove, but if they had a message to deliver, it was one of pure idiocy.

Our Memorial Day outing took us along the scenic Niagara River up to Lake Ontario, where we went to historic Fort Henry.  Alas, we did not get out of our car because it was too crowded.  We saw sizable gatherings in picnic shelters, along with others who were keeping more to themselves.  The parking lots were packed.  Oh well, it was a nice drive.

TBG was asked to be responsible, stay at home, avoid crowds etc. by his employer.  Managers have not lost any of their base pay during the pandemic.  This is is spite of them not having to work alternate Saturdays.  The company asks that they not use the day off to hang out in groups or do things that might expose themselves.  He got a notification of an update on Facebook regarding a manager at another branch.  He was out of town, at a concert, posed  mask-less with a large group of people.  I mean, didn't he think his employer and colleagues would see this?

So, I am happy to stay at home and hang my laundry out to dry.  I finally got to do this today, and it worked out blisteringly well in the near 90 degree heat.  For Memorial Day (yesterday), we grilled sausage patties with melted provolone and peppers, topped with Bruschetta, on a brioche roll.  We may be boring, but at least we aren't sick (or stupid).

Comments

  1. I really don't worry about being boring since I want to stay alive. We both are happy to go for a drive, or get an ice cream cone, or sit and watch ducks, birds, and people at the lake. I have plenty to do here that I am not getting done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am perfectly happy adhering to these sensible restrictions too. There really is plenty to get done at home and nice to have an excuse to turn down other things in order to get to them!

      Delete
  2. We've had a postal vote for 15 years, it's a much more civilised way to vote.
    I can't remember the last time I sat in a car, the thought of driving somewhere packed with idiots on a bank Holiday weekend has never appealed, even less so now!
    Nothing beats line-dried washing does it? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind a ride through nice scenery, but for a long trip somewhere? Ugh! TBG doesn't think clothes need to be tumbled a short bit after drying to soften them up, which surprises me. I give them a short tumble -- which doesn't eliminate the fresh smell or use much energy. It's kinda nice to take a trip down to the cool basement too!

      Delete
  3. You aren't boring and supper sounded yummy. What a stupid manager, we call that a CLM - career limiting move. My neighbor has relatives from another Province over (obvious out of Province license plate). That's not supposed to be happening. Hopefully they won't get their car keyed while here because that has been happening as people are angry with people who seem to be breaking the rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen so many CLMs, like people updating Instagram with a picture of them at a bar on their work from home day. This manager is taking the place of another whose performance they weren't pleased with, but who tried very hard with a difficult staff. I'd rather have a slight under-performer than an overconfident idiot and one who puts staff at risk.

      Delete

Post a Comment