Bad Hair Day

Like many COVID stay-at-homers, Teddy got a bad haircut today.  This effort was over an hour of clipping, and a lot of hair!  Once I had had enough, she and I took a shower together.  While she needs more attention, we'd both had enough.  She will just look funny for a few more days.  I'll even her out on Saturday.

Clipping her is easily a two hour job.  I have two different clippers, and they both get clogged and heated.  I think I could do with a third, but since I'm not a pro, I am not inclined to buy more.  This is a rather short clip, but I wanted to get it done and not have to do it again for a couple of weeks.  One plus to her coat being this short, is that it requires less shampoo, and a shorter time to dry.

Once she was done, I took her for a walk.  We didn't go far as the sky was not looking great.  We ended up at home just as a heavy rain began to fall.  Now it seems some light snow is in the forecast!

We did take her for a swim on Sunday, then bathed her while she was romping around at the water's edge.  After this, I think she is doing well enough to go down to once a week.  Once swim season starts up, she'll have to get rinsed and soaped after each dunk in the river since the algae that develops in the warm weather makes her itch.

I used to think it would be cool to be a professional groomer, but now I'm not so sure.  I worked really hard to make her look this bad!  Oh well, hopefully in a few more short sessions, I'll be able to even her all out.  At least other dogs who get groomed at home are in the same boat!

Comments

  1. Tommy did not think she looked happy. My friend had a large, long-haired dog that she swam with in the river. Between the river and feeding her dog food with corn, the dog had huge raw places. My friend was sort of an idiot. I should not refer to her as a friend since she was just not a friend, someone I tried to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While she looks pathetic, the charm of a Golden is that they easily forget the tragedy of twenty minutes before! But she does look unfortunate. The corn thing really bugs me. If there is any food not appropriate for a dog, that's it. I'll try to fix her coat this weekend and get a happy picture for Tommy to see. My Tommy thought she looked funny too....

      Delete
  2. No dog looks happy with grooming. I did more on Buddy yesterday on his face (evening out what I did the day before as got one cheek more than the other). He was so relieved when the trimmers got put away. Less hair is good, especially with warmer weather coming on (hopefully soon for you - snow! crap)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it did snow today! I am itching to fix a lot of the uneven spots, but will wait another few days for her sake. At least I think I can get away with bathing her less. I envy you having a smaller dog to deal with!

      Delete

Post a Comment