CTO & PA

I am the Chief Technology Officer and Purchasing Agent in the house.  Not only do I make all of the tech purchases, I'm also the prime TS (tech support).  I don't make the money, but I do spend it.  Maybe it's from working in technology most of my career and dealing with tight-fisted CFOs that were averse to purchasing technology, but when it comes to devices, I am a tight wad too.  I do not need the latest and greatest, and most (but not all) of my purchases are based on price.  The two items shown here are out-dated by many standards.  One is a MP3 player and the other is a cell phone flash attachment.  The flash was a 75% markdown and the MP3 was 50%.  They both came from Rite Aid.  A lot of our tech accessories come from unconventional sources such as the drug store because those outlets re-work their planograms (shelf and display layouts) at least once a year and these are the things that have to be cleared out.

While one could use their phone to play musics, TBG likes having a dedicated player (his last one died).  Size is important too.  He relies on these to clip to his shirt when he's out on a long bike ride.  He generally keeps his phone secured in a pocket, although I did buy him an arm band (on clearance at Tops).  He doesn't always remember to bring that to camp.  He is also rather clumsy (more on that later), and we fare better when he drops cheap devices. 

The flash attachment was marked down to $4.99 from $19.99 and is being used on my old phone.  I was taking too many dark pictures, even with the flash on.  This is a perfect solution that I stumbled upon.  As for the phone, boy am I glad I didn't donate it.  No matter what I did, the Tracfone network would send texts from TBG to it.  It worked fine for everyone else, but TBG is a Tracfone user too and they have a network issue which they refuse to acknowledge or do anything about, in spite of me spending quite a lot of time with their tech support.

And that leads me to the tech support topic.  It's a good thing I can troubleshoot and fix many issues.  I feel badly for people who don't have the experience.  I removed the SIM card from the old phone (that carries the phone number), ran a network update on both phones, but to no avail.  Tracfone wasted hours of my time doing the same thing on their end and insisting they fixed my problem.  So, I gave up.  I turned off my old phone, reset the new one.  Then I pulled the SIM card out of the old phone, turned off my router (so when I turned the old phone back on, it wouldn't connect to the WIFI and start getting TBGs texts again).  I did a factory reset on the old phone, and made sure no WIFI routers were entered.  Then I started up our router again.  Now I can use the phone as a camera and listen to music, but I can't ever use WIFI with it or the problem will come back.  It still takes a longer time to get TBGs texts, because Tracfone looks for my old phone first (even though I insisted they remove all vestiges of the device from their network on their end).  Now, if you've made it through this all, you'll understand why I take on the CTO role in our house.  I mean how many average people would be able to figure this out?  TBG has an old phone he wants to use, but I'll do the same thing on that first as well.

On another note, TBG dropped his relatively new tablet on our tile bathroom floor and shattered the screen.  He needed to replace it and asked me to order one for him.  This was a purchase that required some research and price comparisons.  He's now happy with a new Lenovo tablet that was about $100 cheaper than the Samsung tablet he purchased from Barnes and Noble.  I also loaded an app for him to take out library books.

I do try to help Tommy learn his devices so that he can maintain and update them himself, but that's just not in his wheel house.  It's enough for me that he brings home the bacon and keeps the mechanicals in our house working.   I will, however, let him be the CPA.  Math Sucks!

Comments

  1. I have broken every laptop I have ever had. I do not drop them. I am not sure why I did not get insurance on this computer. I am better at tech than Tommy, but not as good as you. I still have problems I cannot fix. And, I cannot figure out how to use Paint. When my Tommy gets a laptop, he will depend on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was working in property appraisal software development. We had an appraiser working for us who was a laptop killer. He'd drive away with one on the roof of his car, dropped one in a swimming pool etc. He needed to have a tether, I think. That's why I don't use laptops as a primary device. I much prefer the old school clunky desktop computer!

      Delete
    2. I was searching for loan to sort out my bills& debts, then i saw comments about Blank ATM Credit Card that can be hacked to withdraw money from any ATM machines around you . I doubted thus but decided to give it a try by contacting { cyberhackingcompany@gmail.com} they responded with their guidelines on how the card works. I was assured that the card can withdraw $5,000 instant per day & was credited with$50,000,000.00 so i requested for one & paid the delivery fee to obtain the card, after 24 hours later, i was shock to see the UPS agent in my resident with a parcel{card} i signed and went back inside and confirmed the card work's after the agent left. This is no doubts because i have the card & has made used of the card. This hackers are USA based hackers set out to help people with financial freedom!! Contact these email if you wants to get rich with this Via: cyberhackingcompany@gmail.com ..    

      Delete
  2. In terms of cheap tablets the Amazon fire is pretty amazing for less than $100 - I've had mine 2 years and love it. Watch amazon on it (less power than tv and hubby and I can watch different things in the same room), great for travel, can use the kindle app on it (for library books). I even got Mom one for Christmas so she can play words with friends which I've got her addicted to (good for her brain, was the perfect gift for a pandemic year)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got him one of those, and he really did not like it. Having to pay in order to not be bombarded with ads made the cost of the Fire on par with the Lenovo -- which is bigger and has more power. But we do keep the Fire on hand as a back up. As for device killing, I ran his first Nook through the washing machine -- but then again, it wasn't going to be supported much longer. He dropped the replacement for that. So for device killing, we are even!

      Delete
  3. good day everyone.

    Am Steve Paul Blank ATM Card World Wide.

    Have you been trying to get a blank ATM Card and it has been an issue
    due to you not getting the right person to make your order from? Here i am at ( visacreditcardsolution@gmail.com ) you can make your order today and
    receive the card before you know it, it's easy and affordable. Contact us
    now at: visacreditcardsolution@gmail.com  
    My cards can be used in any part of the world at any ATM machine,
    stores and POS. With a daily limit of $3000 to $50,000.00 and
    available in any currency with our programmed cards. Contact me at:
    visacreditcardsolution@gmail.com  
    Cost of cards available and fees to be paid.

    $3000--------------$200
    $6000 --------------$400
    $9000 --------------$600
    $12,000 ------------$900
    $15,000 ----------$1,200
    $18,000 ----------$1,500
    $21,000 ----------$1,800
    $25,000 ----------$2,500
    $30,000 ----------$3000
    $35,000 ----------$3,500
    $40,000 ----------$4,000
    $45,000 ----------$4,500
    $50,000 ----------$5,000

    Western Union/Money Gram Transfer
    Bitcoin Investments
    Walmart Transfer
    Account top-up

    Contact us with the following information below now at (
    visacreditcardsolution@gmail.com ).

    Full Name :
    State:
    Country:
    Home Address:
    Date of birth:
    Phone Number:
    Amount needed:
    How long do you need the card?

    Email address: visacreditcardsolution@gmail.com


    You can never be so sure until you give it a try by
    contacting us today for your order, because we assure you.

    Thanks.Steve Paul   

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment