Flamingos & Cocktails

I have wanted to put out black flamingos since last year.  These were a Dollar Tree purchase.  While I would have liked them to be larger, the small size was fine for testing purposes.  I wanted to see what they would look like painted black.  Since I had more of the gloss paint on hand, that is what I used. I do think matte would look better.  There is a good chance that the sheen will dull once these have been exposed to rain and sun.  I am happy with the over-all aesthetic of black on them.

This is an area where there used to be a pear tree, which was a real nuisance.  It's also one of Teddy's main pee areas.  The black fish has followed us around and is our contractor's (Jimmy-Jam) favorite landscape element.  TBG did screw it into the stump of the pear tree so it wouldn't forever be blown down.  In the past, any time Jimmy completed a landscaping project, he'd set the fish in the middle to announce it was done.  We'll probably have this thing forever, while the flamingos will maybe last a year or two.  I am willing to spend more for larger and more permanent pieces now that I have proven the concept.
The weather was so nice yesterday that I fished more pieces out of the garage and brought out the big aloe vera plant.  While I am not fond of plastic chairs, TBG bought them for me and it is convenient that they stack.  This is our cocktail area and one of my plans this year is to create a screen for the trash and recycling totes.  There is a blue table/stand that I use when we bring out drinks, but since it's wood, it lives in the garage and then comes out at happy hour. I put it where Teddy is posing.

IMO, every patio needs a chaise.  This one has been with us for years.  Way back in time TBG worked for a catalogue show room (who remembers Service Merchandise?).  That is where this came from.  It's almost 20 years old, as is the candle stand next to it.  I never leave a wax candle out because they melt in the sun, but this is good place to set a mosquito candle in the evening.
Our driveway is basically "Cocktail Alley" for us.  When it's too sunny or if we are serving food, we sit in the furniture set in the shady area.  There is a cheap plastic storage box where we keep pads for those chairs.  Over the next few weeks, I'll be putting more effort into that area.  I can actually put planters out there because it only gets partial sun.

Now all we need is for warm, Covid-safe conditions so that we can gather a few friends together.  I am hoping that we can entertain in a month or so.  We will be ready!

Comments

  1. Well, black flamingoes are certainly different. But, I love them. I have to admit that upon first sight, I was a little shocked. It is good you have a place to retreat from the sun. Yes, I do remember Service Merchandise. Tommy and I were just talking about that business the other day. I really love your patio. Unfortunately, I can no longer get out of those chairs. I had four gotten from a yard sale and gave them to a neighbor who painted them a dark gray. A can of spray paint can solve everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enbiggened the pictures of the black flamingoes and held them up for Tommy to see across the room.
    He made a noise that he had seen them. I asked him what he saw. He said, "Big birds and I am not sure what kind." I laughed and told him that were flamingoes she painted black." He sort of laughed at that. He approves, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that they are so tacky and actually pretty distasteful in their original form!

      Delete
  3. We are pretty minimalist inside the house, but anything goes outside. I love your fence and I remember that you had hung metal serving trays on it at one time. That inspired me and we have been scouting all kinds of metal things to hang on our fence, even corrugated rusty metal sheets. I will have to do a post about that one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The serving trays are now gone, they were not a favorite of TBGs and did fade. However, I did like the idea! Scout out mirrors. They add so much interest, especially at night when they reflect lights. I like to look for plates as well as wood serving trays and other things that would go with the wood of the fence. TBG does not like a garden filled with things, so I just sneak stuff in when it strikes my fancy.

      I would love to see you do a steampunk sorta aesthetic back there. It's something you both know so well. Also, I thought of you when I did a garden tour where the lady labelled all her herbs and plants by using the names painted on rocks. With so much creativity between you all, I can't wait to see what you do!

      Delete
  4. Black flamingos! Every yard should have some creatures. We bought 2 new chaise loungers since we were doing the big investment this year in our yard furniture. We've only had 1 in the past but then I never had anywhere to lounge when hubby was out there. That is fixed now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having a lounger! I do have an every-day/leave it on in any weather pad, and one for entertaining. We had an owl statue on the fence and the squirrels ignored it. I do what some other sorta bird of prey or gargoyle to add.

      Delete
  5. Very cute and quirky. Which no doubt makes you a fun host!

    I still have several lamps and an outdoor bench/chair seating area from Service Merchandise!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment