Kitchen Cabinet Continuation

The kitchen face-lift continues.  Yesterday I set the cabinet hardware in various cleaning solutions to soak.  The door hinges had a lot of paint on them and the magnets that keep the doors closed were just dirty.  The knobs and handles weren't too bad, but I needed to set them aside anyway so I let them soak as well.  I used my orange/vinegar/baking soda/soap solution for the hardware.  All the paint rubbed off pretty easily this morning.  Even though some of the surfaces wouldn't be seen, I wanted them completely clean anyway so they would fit back smoothly.

This is the project in progress.  The paint isn't actually shiny at all, it just looks that way at the end because it was still wet.
Before the final coat, I gave it a slightly abrasive buffing and then the last coat.  I will not put these drawers completely back together for a day or so. I want the paint to cure. I'll slide them back into their places, but not fully close them.  Starting tomorrow, I will begin with the doors.


I haven't done a food post in ages, so I thought I'd show a great chili dinner we liked so much we had it twice.  This is chicken chili.  I'd had TBG bring me home a rotisserie chicken the Sunday before last and we had the thighs for dinner.  Sunday night I pulled off most of the remaining meat and started stock with the carcass, wings, etc.  On Monday I strained the soup glop and made the discards into food for Teddy.  All but one small part of a thigh bone mushed up completely, so there was just about nothing left from the bird.  We got our five dollars worth!

The chili used about cup or so of the stock plus a can of diced tomatoes.  For the beans, I used Canelli.  This was augmented with chopped onion, celery, and an orange pepper.  I made this in my medium sized crock and just needed one half of the remaining breast from the rotisserie chicken.

When it came time to serve, I cut diced romaine lettuce, which I then topped with crumbled up lime tortilla chips.  That was topped with shredded colby/jack cheese, diced avocado, and sour cream.

I am trying to resist ordering in when I'm busy with this project. Since I have so much food on hand from making sure we are adequately stocked in case we have to quarantine, I just want to make sure we use it.  So I guess that makes me super productive!

Comments

  1. You have been productive on many fronts. I cannot wait to see it all put back together. I am sure Teddy appreciates your making some for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sort of glad that in her old age, she likes to nap. She stayed upstairs all day today, which made me more comfortable while I painted. I'll have to spend quality time with her tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is a great way to use leftovers. I once won second place in a chili making contest. I entered a chicken and andoullie sausage chili. I like to think beyond beef!

      Delete
  3. You're doing a grand job on that kitchen, hinges and all. Can't wait to see the finished project! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be done with the doors today! Thanks for the encouragement. I am working in part by your example :-)

      Delete
  4. We are trying not to order in either or takeout mostly because of our reduced salaries. I love putting corn chips in my chili - looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel badly that the restaurant industry is imploding, but we never ate out after I stopped working. It was just an extravagance we cut out. So, we won't be going out to eat or ordering much after the pandemic either. As for chips and chili, I also LOVE potato chips on tuna sandwiches.

      Delete

Post a Comment