Mask Madness

I have been making more masks.  With more emphasis on their use contrasting with some who refuse to wear them, I am even more committed to donning face protection to show those folks who are out there working that someone cares about their health.  Rather than using the sewing machine -- which takes up space, needs to be set up and put away, and just generally likes to frustrate me -- I am making these by hand.  My latest efforts are taking advantage of a skirt that no longer fits me and that I am not really wearing now that I am retired.  It takes about the same time as watching one TV show, and it's easy to make one each evening.

Attempting to use every last scrap, the waist has been removed in order to be used for straps.  This piece started out life as  Liz Claiborne skirt.  I love the material, and it's a plus that it came with a coordinating liner.  I will admit the liner isn't as soft as I'd like, but it works and it's there!
While I had been making rectangular face coverings, I noticed one section of cloth that had an angle. This looked perfect for a piece to fit over the bridge of a nose.  Having a piece that tucks under your glasses is an important part of preventing fogging. 
The finished product was rather wide -- which I did not mind.  Rather than sewing on a strap, I was able to put two hair elastics to use.  Using hair elastics can be problematic for some since they are so small.  They can make for a very tight ear piece.  Luckily, I have small ears and the extra width covers so much more of my face that they work fine.  I'll see how this fits TBG, since he has very small ears (really strange because he's got a large melon!).
Here's how it turned out. It's probably not good that it is so loose at the top, but I think that probably helps some of the heated air from my breath escape.  Of course germs could get in there too.  Maybe I'll sew a pleat but will wait to wear it a few times to determine if that will help.  At least I am happy with how it looks.  Methinks the material matches my red hair and fair skin quite nicely.

This is a good representation of what I have on hand (a few more are in our cars).  I decided to make more because I believe cautionary reports that the virus will be around for a while and that a vaccine is not likely in the short term.

Politically and socially, I think wearing a face covering shows you are a considerate member of society.  What is our world coming to when people around the world are truly living under totalitarian government and we judge the privilege of going to a restaurant as our most important barometer of freedom?  Those who drive around and protest at state capitols aren't the lower wage folks who are stuck working over time so that the more privileged can stock up on toilet paper.  People in meat packing facilities are our new indentured servants -- they will get sick being crammed together so that the rest of us can eat chicken tenders, but they won't get paid if they get sick.  Hazard pay shouldn't just be an incentive to get them to show up, it should be a reward if they contract the virus manufacturing food for us all to eat.

If being a government employee who works day in and day out so that our civic system can continue to function and serve the people makes you deep state, and if our elected officials need to wear bullet proof vests to work because weapon carrying zealots want to intimidate, we are asking too much of our public servants.  When we put our comfort, well-being and over-all enjoyment of life above the safety of others, then we are selfish, ignorant bullies.

For me, wearing a mask or face covering is a way of showing I'm part of the population that cares.  And since most of the folks who care aren't seen since they are conscientiously staying at home, what better way to increase that visibility by making a visible statement when going out.  I say "Viva La Masque!"

Comments

  1. That is a pretty masque. If it looked nice on you as a blouse, then I am not surprised it looks great as a masque. If the worst thing that ever happens to me is wearing a mask, it will be bearable. Of course, the protestors think this is a slippery slope on the way to making us all sheep. I may have to make masks by hand, too. But, I have some surgical masks.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prices I am seeing surgical masks sold for is outrageous, so it made sense to make it as a DIY. Sewing by hand is really simpler.

      So rather than being sheep, these folks look like donkey asses.

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately society today as a whole is pretty damn selfish and don't care about other people....I could say more but it would involve swearing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least things seem a little more sensible in your country. Can't wait until I can go back there again!!!

      Delete
  3. That fabric is really pretty, it does suit you.
    I haven't been anywhere to warrant the wearing of a mask, the government said we can wear masks in shops and or public transport but we don't have to - more half-arsed advice!
    Apparently if you apply shaving foam to your glasses, rinse it off and dry them it stops them fogging up! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard that soap helps, so I will have to try that form. The whole mask thing is really causing problems here. Front line/low wage workers are being accosted by mask-defying idiots. I do go into shops here in NY State but it hasn't been an issue because our State government is setting a good tone and example. We get a lot of haf-assed advice from our president but our Governor is doing a great job. I do like being a New Yorker!

      Delete

Post a Comment