More of the Same, only More

Now that I only shop once per week, I need to have more fresh produce on hand.  This can be a challenge.  I do have the green containers that help it all last longer, so I am putting them to good use.  Each container needs to be labeled so I can keep track of what I've got.  There are more of them in the fridge for stuff that needs to be kept cool.  My counters are no longer neat.  There's too much on hand that has to be stacked.

I am still making nut butters.  The goal is always to have extra on hand in case we are near the end of our supply and nuts are not easy to find.  So far, that hasn't happened.  I am guessing folks are stocking up on peanut butter and that might be a candidate for a shortage.  But that's not a problem when you make your own.  Never before have I been so glad to have hoarded glass jars and bottles.  Jam jars are perfectly sized for this.  TBG will need one for work, and I'll have a couple for us at home.

This batch was made from peanuts, brazil nuts, pecans, almonds, walnuts, cashews, sesame and chia seeds, bee pollen, ground hemp, flax and peanut oil.  I don't think we could even buy something like this.  I'm also not sure how expensive specialty nut butters sold commercially will cost once we get further along into this adventure.

We are not doing without by any means.  Yes, it's costing a little more -- but not a whole lot since I am making it all from scratch.  Eggs, dairy, etc. are going up in price, but I still managed to get a couple of large trays of chicken drum sticks for the pup.  I am so thankful we still have an income and also grateful that I've dedicated myself to culinary self sufficiency.  IMO, that has made a huge difference.  Don't you find yourself much happier because you make most of the things you consume yourself?

Comments

  1. I suppose I don't make as much stuff as you do. Once, I did. And, I was happier for it. The thing I made was, besides the food, all my clothing, even bras and panties. I was very happy with that. I am going to start making pizza. HOWEVER, I am going to get a little boxed pizza dough to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could actually sew! Maybe that should be a post-pandemic goal. I used to kill myself trying to make everything from scratch when I worked. Now that I am retired, it is much easier. I think it definitely tastes better too. Not to mention being healthier. But if you can't cook it yourself, it at least is helpful to know how things should be made.

      Delete

Post a Comment