Planting Plastic Again!

I am back to creating hanging baskets made with fake flowers.  This time, I'm attaching the baskets that hang next to our garage.  Last year, the birds decimated them. I actually think they started out trying to get the liners, but ended up pulling out the flowers.  We'd spent a respectable amount on mail order sun-tolerant impatiens.   Those got yanked out almost immediately.  Other flowers from Home Depot suffered the same fate.   Scorching hot weekends didn't help matters much either.

The plastic bunches were ordered from Amazon.  At $11.99 per basket, they were a little pricey, but if they can't be killed, we'll have spent a whole lot less than we did on live ones.  Since I can't actually go out and shop for fake flowers, I had to settle with what I could find on line.  Once stores are back open, I'm going to look for deals on fake/plastic flowers for next year.

Not shown here, were stalks of leaves I found at Dollar Tree.  The glass bits are serving as mulch and will be slightly visible.  They will hopefully keep the stems in place too.

It's not classy, but at least they can't be killed!

Comments

  1. They look remarkably good! Plus if they let you back to your trailer you don't have to worry about them surviving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My time at camp is the main reason I went fake. I hope we are able to spend time there again this summer. I also hope these don't melt in the full sun!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad birds do not get my wave petunias that I hung in a basket! Boy, that would frost me. Those really look good. And, you don't have to water them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they look overtly fake. Our planters were really decimated last year and I just don't want to deal with those bandit birds (or maybe squirrels?) this year again!

      Delete
  4. Never tried painting plastic. A few my friends has paint there plastic lawn chairs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty hard to kill the plastic stuff! I do know of gardeners who spray paint their lawns and gardens before big events. We have a Garden Walk here each year, but not this one. People with dead spots or leave and petals have been known to hide dead stuff with paint.

      Delete
  5. They look fine, nothing like our neighbour's astroturf lawn and plastic palm trees! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's poor taste, then ther'es POOR taste!

      Delete

Post a Comment