Thrifting from the Past

This was one of my 99 cent Salvation Army finds (pre-pandemic), which I hadn't gotten around to posting about.  It was a lovely jacket that I thought might fit TBG but wasn't sure.  It was like new -- I don't think it had been worn much, if at all.  While TBG wears an XL, sometimes an L will do.  Since the price was right, I jumped on it.

Here's one detail showing the high quality findings.  The material was a very soft but of a substantial weight.  Although it did not fit him, I had an alternate recipient in mind -- his assistant manager.  He was very happy to get the jacket and it fits him well.  TBG is intentionally open with his staff (who are all younger) about how frugally we live.  Before the pandemic hit, one of his employees told him that his advice and example led he and his wife to make major changes to their lives and how they spend money.  He's also been successful in getting them to invest.  They all have good heads on their shoulders and are working responsibly towards their futures.  Tommy is lucky to have them.  I was not at all ashamed to pass along a thrifted find, and for them to know that's where I shop.

This was another haul of 99 cent items I don't think I posted.  The double breasted blazer is an 80's throw-back with big shoulder pads. I wanted it for my BFF's daughter.  She was happy to get it.  I was very excited to have found the pink chemise -- it's Lands End and barely worn.  The other two warm weather shirts fit right into our casual/laid back summer lifestyle.  Now if only it would get warm enough to wear them!

Comments

  1. I don't care and never did that I was frugal. My children when they were small knew where I got their clothes--sewing them, high end stores, and yard sales. They grew up to appreciate a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got hand-me-down clothes, but my mother was too proud to shop at a thrift store. I didn't discover them until college. What a waste!

      Delete
  2. Our thrift stores just open. They look quite busy and only went to one briefly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we will be another three weeks or more here. There is a cluster zip code in our area that has a high incidence of cases, so our pause will be longer. I am in withdrawal!

      Delete
  3. Izod! that's answered a question I had, I read a few Jeffrey Deaver books earlier this year and he kept mentioning Izod shirts, I'd never heard the term before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to add to your education, they were formally associated with Lacoste -- the people with the alligators on their shirt. Then again, with your fashion background, you probably know this. In the 70's Izod Lacoste was a big status symbol in my town. Lacoste is now the luxury side of the business. I am going to tell a racist joke and preface it by saying it was a popular joke told by my affluent Jewish classmates in high school: An alligator found a bottle and rubbed it. A genie came out and offered him three wishes. The alligator asked for a Ferrari, a membership at the Fontainbleau Club, and a shirt with a Jew on it. Again, it's not pc, but just a relic from the 70's as it pertains to this brand.

      Delete

Post a Comment