Day Tripping -- Aurora, NY

I had wanted to visit Mackenzie Child's facility in Aurora, NY for ages.  It's about an hour south from our camp, and a trip The Big Guy would be totally unhappy about.  Luckily, I have my good friend June!  Once I showed her some of their merchandise, she was on board for the trip.  She and I are crafting sisters, so we both wanted to visit for the ideas.  The day we picked was not very sunny, but we didn't care.  After months of being shut down, their show room and grounds were open, but alas, there were no tours.  A flash sale had gone on the day before and I wanted to shop in person, which was not possible as the event was only for 24 hours.  They have a yearly barn sale, but that is also a no-go for 2020.

The showroom is chock full of beautifully made stuff that is way out of my price range.  Even at 50% off for some, it was just too much to spend.  We did buy a cloth napkin that was embroidered with an angel, as a gift for a friend we were set to see a few days later.  It was $8 on sale, so that was do-able.  I'd have spent more but it was either that, or find something for fifty bucks.

In addition to their famous courtly check (black and white), they have other colorways.  They also have a line of florals and butterflies.  I loved the painted furniture and got some great ideas.

One great treat, was the restroom.  The entire space was covered in pastel tiles.  I felt like a denim Dorothy there (blue sneakers instead of red slippers).  The bathroom was as well done as the rest of the shop.  The grounds were lovely too -- and I'll post about them soon.

I thought their flower stuffed umbrella door decoration was so pretty.  This is something I plan to keep in mind if I ever have to host a shower.  Granted the days of bridal and baby showers are basically past for me and my gang, but you never know when you'll be asked for help.

It was worth it to make the trip, even though just about everything was out of my price range.  Honestly, if Teddy was six or seven years younger and didn't have cancer, I would have splurged the $55 for a dog collar.  Then again, I'd probably freak out the first time she rolled in mud and then decide to save it for special occasions (of which there are few).


Comments

  1. I have never heard of MC, but am won over because of the two pictures. I would love a floor like that! Your day sounds like fun. Even though I cannot afford expensive stores, I do love to look. Yes, it gives me ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am turning into a forger. The style is not impossible to mimic, so that is what I've been doing!

      Delete
  2. Sound like you and your friend June had a great day. Nothing wrong with little window shopping, we all dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our lunch afterwards was deliciously memorable as well. It was the first dine-in meal I'd had post pandemic and that was a treat too!

      Delete
  3. That shop looks amazing! Hooray for having a lovely friend like June to share your fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an overload for the senses (and wallet). I'd much rather updated vintage finds and not spend stupid money. But it was such a fun trip! Half the fun was that the radio in the Benz doesn't work, so we sang a lot of the way.

      Delete

Post a Comment