Putting Inspiration into Practice

This tiny ceiling fan came from  Home Depot.  It was purchased using reward points -- which included a 20% discount.  The only problem was that it was not available in black, so the only other reasonable option was white.  After seeing many creative light fixtures on my MC field trip, I decided it was worth it to take a cue and give my cheap fan an update.
The fan blades seem to me the best surface to start with.  Painting over the adhesive pattern (faux wood) was tough at first as it repelled the acrylic paint I planned to use. I solved that problem by mixing Modge Podge in with the paint.  Once I painted the checks. I put on a couple of coats of glossy spray enamel.  I also put a coat of copper on the other side of of the blades.
The installation was done by a mother-daughter team, the young lady is a good friend of my BFF's daughter.  I wanted to give her an opportunity to earn a few side $$.  Personally, I don't think she charged me enough. She asked for $50, I gave her $60 but would have gladly given her more but she was too nice.  It was good luck to have her mom along as a guide because wiring in this old house is funky.  But she did a great job.
The challenge is that our ceilings are only about six and a half feet.  I had to find a fan that would hang over the bed and not hit TBG in the head if he came in the room while it was on.  I sleep in this room and we don't get enough of the central AC into the room.  We have a portable unit in our hallway to help,  but it needs the fan to drag the air in.  Using a tabletop fan was noisy and ugly.   I am much happier with this fixture and very please with the solution of painting it myself.
This was under $100 and I consider it an affordable success!






Comments

  1. I love what you did with the fan blades!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was going to embellish the main part but wanted to see how the blades worked out. I might do more

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the checks anyhow those points on different places really come in handy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment