Weldome Back!

Teddy has a camp hangover.  We are back home after two plus weeks at the lake.  The only reason we returned, was that our refrigerator broke.  On a 90+ degree day, that meant quickly packing what I could into a cooler, bringing in our manually retractable awning (with help) and getting on the road.  With the spike in RVing due to COVID, the high temps, and the lack of parts and components (this I know from being married to a man in the refrigeration business) meant no hope for an expeditious service call.  Nope, we'll probably now stick to short visits with a portable plug-in cooler.

Teddy loves being at camp but easily adjusts to life back at home after a weekend away.  Spending weeks at a time means she gets fully into lake life and realizes that is over when she wakes up at home once we return.  She has so many friends and just loves being outside, and this is the experience I want her to have as her cancer progresses.

Other than intense heat, the weather was great.  There was very little rain and we saw many a spectacular sunset. I'll share more about what we do during these long stays -- but mostly, it's nothing.  We have coffee with our friend June every day at 10AM.  In the hot weather, Teddy gets a swim every couple of days (daily, requiring a bath and blow-out is too much work).  She was getting walkies at night, but even that was a stress to her system since she is carrying around noticeably swollen glands (probably like wearing a turtle neck).  At night, June and I watch the sunset and distance chat with others.

June and I also hit tag sales, visited Mackenzie-Childs in Aurora, NY, crafted and painted.  Teddy and I took a lot of hose baths, and she got a few clips.  TBG joined us on the weekends.  We also shared some very excellent meals, and a friend came out to help celebrate TBG's birthday by joining him for a cycling jaunt through the back-roads, then staying for a BBQ.

My first big domestic chore at home, was to scrub the kitchen floor.  I love the Swiffer Wet-Jet but it doesn't scrub or deal well with serious dirt.  It is a great surface cleaner and I use it multiple times per week.  Of course the floor hasn't been cleaned in weeks, so I thought this would be the time to do a hands and knees deep scrub using my coconut scrub brush and a lot of elbow grease.  We do not use strong chemicals because of the cancer thing.  This took hours, and once I was done and it dried, I followed with the Swiffer to get up what was left on the surface.

I'll be handling a lot of big chores like this for a while.  Getting to do nothing for weeks at a time, comes with a price!

Comments

  1. I hope you get the refrigerator fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing we aren't even going to get it working or replaced until the fall. There are a few things I plan to monkey with next time I am up. But am truly not liking my chances of success. A new one is $800. A service call would be at least $150 plus parts. Ugh!

      Delete
  2. Those are some pretty floors. In my old house I had honey oak floors, and used a solution of water/vinegar/bergamot oil on the floors in a bucket with a roller mop. Only problem was, the vinegar killed the mop head rapidly, so it wouldn't absorb. Here, I have acacia floors...pretty, more modern, but I can't use vinegar. I use a microfiber rag soaked in a bucket Sal's Suds mixed with water and peppermint oil, wring it, and then tuck the corners in a Swiffer mop. I mop about 2 x's week. Rinsing the rag out in the bucket, wringing it out, and popping it back on my Swiffer head is a pain in the neck, but the results are worth it. I am considering getting a Bona mop, in which you can fill the cartridge with your own solution. However, nothing beats hands and knees, does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My body is feeling pretty achy right now! Those are actually laminate planks and are quite chipped and pitted in place. The best way to make an over-all good impression is to keep it clean. With the laminate, you can't get it very wet, hence why I rarely do a full on mop. I shouldn't use vinegar, but I do. I'm going to find out one of these days if I can cover with vinyl plank or something more durable but not expensive. What a chore!

      Delete
  3. Hello Mrs M I have travelled from Vintage Vix over to join you - I think I have been a visitor to your previous blogs over the years. So sorry that Teddy has the big C, my little cat had too and has gone to rest recently, she was a big part of our lives. Its good too see Teddy crams lots into her furry life and knows without doubt how much she is loved. I am 2 years older than you, part time working and wishing I was retired! thinking about relocating/starting afresh as every one of the four of us has unemployment at one level or another apart from me but adult sons aren't buying into my plan. Im scared of change, aren't we all! Anyhow, nice to find your blog and I have become a follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you for coming over Betty! It is great to have you. I can say for years I was terrified that we'd go down the financial tubes if I lost my job. Well, I just dropped out when I was at the highest salary I'd ever had -- the stress was unmanageable. Now we get by just fine. No luxury, mind you, but a good life. The change was super-scary (I also tried part time but it was not a better fit). However the fear dissipated. In fact, the pandemic has made me grateful for the way we changed our life. It has also helped me better care for Teddy. I am so sorry you lost your kitty, it's a tough loss for sure.

      Delete
  4. Welcome home! I'm glad you had a good trip and that Teddy enjoyed herself, as always.
    What a pain about the fridge, that really is an essential whatever the weather. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking how well you and Jon get by without a big kitchen set up and feel as if I'm over dramatic. But nothing beats a cold beverage on a hot day! I really did miss your blog and during brief periods where I was able to get on-line, I did manage to get a quick fix.

      Delete
  5. Glad you're back! Teddy seems to be thriving. I'm happy about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a vet visit scheduled with her regular practice in August so I am hoping to see how her overall health measures up.

      Delete

Post a Comment