Microcosm Activism

 I decided to make activist statements at our home.  The current situation around the post office (which is a government service written into our constitution, not a business), and the misinformation about mail-in/absentee voting really has my undies in a bunch.  Making it clear on where we stand on the issues only cost me about five bucks, but I am getting positive feedback in the neighborhood. I implemented my efforts last week.

 

First, I made two sets of signs.  The first was painted on the back of a recycled white Styrofoam meat tray.  That was my statement of support for the United States Postal Service.  They don't just deliver mail and packages, they enforce federal law.  The other effort was a pro-vote design.  Of course the design makes a subtle nod the to party and candidate we endorse.  Once I created the design, I had it printed on 4x6 photos from CVS.  They had a 30% off promotion, so I made a bunch for just five bucks (I think about twenty cents a piece).

 

The USPS sign is on our front door.  I want people who walk and drive by to see it.  Most importantly, I want our mail carrier to know how we feel.  The Vote signs are on the back end windows of our cars (both sides).  The neighbor has a few too.  She's taped them to her front storm door.  We have one in each front window as well.

The election in November can't get here fast enough for me. I just hope a change comes.  We'll do what we can to voice our support for the post office and the vote until then.  Are you doing anything like this too?

Comments

  1. I am ashamed to say I am not doing anything like that or anything except voting to fix our country with a new president. Good for you. I must think up something to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going for subtlety so as not to be labelled as the Lunatic/Radical Left. If I were not in the "vulnerable" age group, I would volunteer to staff our local polling place. So I actually don't think I am doing enough!

      Delete
  2. Good for you, we've been hearing about the US post office on the news, it's an absolute outrage. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought to see something like this in my lifetime. I have vague memories of segregation, had traveled South as a kid and seen the bathrooms and water fountains labelled "Colored." My brother was one of the last of our generation to have to register for the draft. I remember older boys I knew going off to Vietnam. Our political and social terrain right now is in dangerous territory, but nothing is as outright alarming as the blatant attempt to cripple this critical government service. I am contacting my state and local representatives right and left!

      Delete
    2. Good job on the signs!

      We are lucky to live in the great state of New York and as such are a blue state with a really awesome governor. I give him credit for listening to science in regard to the pandemic. A lot of lives were saved. Sadly, many of the red states opted not to follow his lead...guess they don't believe the numbers.

      I have been voting since 1972, when my social studies teacher had all of the 18 year old students register. Smart teacher. I have never seen anything like this election year...or this administration for that matter. So many people so mean to one another. I try not to get drawn into a debate regarding politics, but every once in a while, I kinda slip up...lol.

      I pray that trump loses and loses big. He is a blight on this country and the whole world. I also pray that we are not headed for a depression...but it sure feels that way.

      Delete
    3. I, too, am grateful to live in NY State and approve of everything Cuomo has done. I was a HUGE fan of his father -- but wasn't entirely sure how I felt about him until COVID came along!

      Delete

Post a Comment