Masking

 

So I am still making masks.  TBG had been wearing gators until I finally convinced him that not only were they ineffective, they could actually increase his chances of contracting COVID. 

He spent the past weekend at camp with his BFF and Teddy, while I stayed home with my sewing machine.  I sew a lot of my masks by hand, but my goal was to make a bunch.  The fabric was from a cotton shirt I got at the Salvation Army for $1.50.  The backing was an old sheet.

It is always a challenge to come up with elastic for the ear pieces.  My goal is to use what we have in the house -- to help get rid of it, and to save money.  One obstacle was that he was not here for me to try them out on.  A couple that I made (the first two) were too tight.  I used straps from lingerie for the ears.  OK, so I have three more that I can use.

Turns out, the perfect solution was right in front of me the whole time! I ended up cutting the elastic from the corners of the fitted sheets I was using as the backing.  This worked out perfectly.  The fabric over the elastic is already solidly stitched.  It is cotton so it is comfortable.

TBG likes them and is using them.  He's now got plenty so there is one in his car and I have him grab a fresh one each day.  They can go in the wash -- but I think it's just as effective to wash them with dish-washing liquid and hot water, under the kitchen faucet.  I do that any time I come in the house.  The wet mask hangs on a hook with my aprons and is dry for the next day.  I have plenty of extras if I make other trips.

It's to the point now, that if I go to a store and there aren't wipes or hand sanitizers out front, I sorta panic.  I go in and find someone to refill.  I also take a fresh wipe when I leave the store and wipe down the front of my mask.

Thankfully, the spread rate is low in NY State. Don't listen to the haters on the news who say Governor Cuomo botched it here.  He did a fine job -- and we are now seeing kids head back to the colleges nearby.  There really aren't places for large crowds to gather like we are seeing in the news in other states.  I think we'll be OK. 

But I'll keep on making masks, since I don't think the danger will go away any time soon!

Comments

  1. I think it is overkill to wash the masks in hottest water in the machine and dry on hot in the dryer. I, too, wash the masks in the sink with dishwashing liquid. After all soap renders the virus ineffective. Your sources of elastic are great. The gaiters are ineffective according to tests conducted with them. The masks you made are nice looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have concentrated my efforts on using more "masculine" fabric patterns so TBG has plenty to choose from. I also thought the same as you about washing. If I use soap and water the same way I wash my hands, it will ensure my masks last longer.

      Delete
  2. I'm confused! Gators here are plastic legwarmer type garments you wear over the bottom of your trousers when you go rambling to keep your lower legs dry, they definitely wouldn't stop anyone catching the virus! same language, so many differences!
    Loving the re purposing of the elastic! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, what now passes as a gator is a tube much like a the neck of a turtle neck (think of a dickie without a bib). I don't know why they call them that other than they remind folks of alligator necks. I always thought of gators as you referenced them too!

      Delete
  3. I sew masks too. Instead of the elastic, I saw ties using the same fabric. It requires just a little bit more work but, my family thinks, they are more comfortable than elastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using ribbon too. I have sewn buttons on three or four inch pieces of elastic that you can loop through the ear bands if the mask is too loose. For a while, you couldn't even find elastic, so it was necessary to improvise.

      Delete
  4. We used t-shirt fabric for the elastic part; quite a few folks on the internet have posted about this. The directions go something like this: cut approximately one inch wide strips and stretch them till they narrow. It’s super frugal because you can use old t-shirts. The ‘elastic’ is also more comfortable Over the ears than traditional elastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your masks turned out well. I make mine with hat elastic which i bought online, its like elasticated cord and very thin but strong. Masks are becoming more available here in nice patterns and colours, but I like making them as I feel I am caring for my family in doing so :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of that! It sounds like a perfect product for someone who takes their face covering off and on a lot throughout the day.

      Delete

Post a Comment