Another Kitchen Project - Finally Done!

 Prior to my brother-in-law's sudden passing. I had started a small project I'd wanted to get to for months.  Having spent so much time away from the Microcosm this summer, it was a quick and cheap solution for something that had been bugging me for months.  The wall in back of the kitchen counter by our sink got a quick face lift with a coat of white paint and a set of cheap stencils, painted in gray.  That color matched the hue I'd painted on our upper cabinet doors.  It was such a simple thing, but the bright surface made a big difference in the room.  The "before" shown above proves that point when compared to the finished surface.

The first step was to paint the wall white. That took three coats!  The paint was supposed to be color and primer, but it took more than one coat.  I had not intended to use the same stencils as were employed on the other wall.  They would not fit in evenly for that space.  A larger zig-zag stencil I had on hand was the plan, but it was impossible to mount it to the wall evenly and get it to stay up.  So, I fell back on just using painters tape to create simple stripes.

I'd painted the stripes and had wanted to wait until later in the day to remove the paint and do any necessary touch up.  Unfortunately, only about 20 minutes after I cleaned up my stripe-painting mess, TBG rushed in to tell me we had to pack and go.

We got back from his family on Thursday night last week.  It was a weekend we were going to camp on Friday night.  I did as much unpacking as I could, but knew I'd need to pull off the tape and do the touch up.  With all the upheaval we'd experienced, I wanted my kitchen back together!  The end result is not perfect and it's nothing stunning, but when it's combined with the cheap under counter light I put up the week before, it really does look brighter. 

This was a simple project I am so relieved to have off my to-do list!

Comments

  1. That last picture is stunning. I love it. I need to do that above the counters in the next place I live. Are the lights wired in or battery operated? I just got some battery-operated lights for under the counter, but i would prefer lights wired in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is battery operated. It takes three AAA. For us, that isn't a big problem as TBG gets batteries at cost. If it were wired, I'd leave it on more of the time. But since it's battery powered, I just turn it on when needed. I'd tried a cheap dollar store version but that was bad. This is a "Seen on TV" product I found at 75% off. It was worth the five bucks!

      Delete
    2. I hope these three from the Dollar Tree are not a waste. I will buy whatever to have light. I wish I could get cheaper batteries. But, I am trying to be careful. I will look for the "seen on TV' if I need another.

      Delete
    3. I found mine on clearance at CVS, so maybe you can look around you?

      Delete
  2. That looks really nice. The light really helps brighten up that corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how much better it looked! I thought the stripes would look amateurish. I am glad I decided not to go with even widths. And it really does brighten up the kitchen.

      Delete
  3. I love it! Looks really nice. I wish I were handy like you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie, but if I were indeed handy, I'd have managed to make the stencils work!

      Delete
  4. I think it looks terrific! You did a really good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was so frustrating! I really wanted to stencil, but this seems to be fine too.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Dora! I worked out the design with our guy Jimmy. It was one of his first tile countertops and he set them a bit too far apart, but otherwise I am very happy with it.

      Delete

Post a Comment