Shop Talk


So my summer handbag had me feeling kind of schlumpy.  It was an unstructured cream leather tote-style bag.  The bag was large and carried a lot of stuff, but the lack of shape was making me feel a bit sloppy.  It sure would have been nice to upgrade to a fancy designer bag, but spending that kind of money is just not for me.  It is amazing that with so many folks out of work, and so many struggling to get by, that expensive accessories are selling well in this pandemic economy.  I'm taking my cue from home shopping networks, where many must be turning to since in person commerce is still not a fully functional process.  OK, so I would love to have this Burberry bag, but it is selling (apparently at a very good price) at double our mortgage payment.  I guess that makes us part of the 90%.


Instead of buying big, I went second hand.  This barely used bag was fine for my needs.  It had zipper compartments to better organize what I carry around, and it looked far neater than the big sack I'd been sporting.  


$5.98 is actually more than I usually spend on a purse,  but this one was in very good condition by thrift store standards -- and it didn't smell funky either! That meant I could quickly press it into use.  My main criteria for buying is not fashion, it's quality.  While this isn't a designer brand, it is one know for well constructed accessories.  It's original price was probably around $70, which is more than I would want to spend on anything new too.  I do actually buy new, but only on a deep discount.  My upper limit is probably around $35 -- but I think this six bug bag will do!

Comments

  1. A very good buy indeed at a smart price. Clarks are very durable. I have a pair of Mary Jane pumps by Clarks. They are indestructable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their shoes! That's why the purse caught my eye. The edging on some of the straps is gone, but on the whole it is in very good shape.

      Delete
    2. I love the purse and the price. Clark's is a good quality brand. At the thrift stores I have shopped, I have never found a purse I would carry--too grubby, torn, too tiny, stinky, large suitcase size, wrong color like rainbow or something gaudy. Last time I looked, there was nothing.

      Delete
    3. There are purses to have around here, but there are many knock-off's to be aware of. And the stores sell them at a higher price too! I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to this kind of purchase. I'm glad you approve of it!

      Delete
  2. Good old Clarks'! Back in the day all British schoolkids wore Clarks' shoes. They're still most people's go-to brand now although sadly no longer crafted in England.

    It's quite encouraging that people are buying high end accessories - that must be a good thing, investing in a quality item that will last a lifetime rather than buying cheap throwaway Chinese-made tat that ends up in landfill. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tee hee. I LOVE that bag. Several years ago I found a black patent leather Gucci bag for $4.00 at our local thrift shop. When I went to the check out counter, the cashier said "hang on," turned to the manager and said, "I think this is mismarked, and should have read $40.00" I was about ready to get livid, but the manager looked at the tag and said "Maybe, but it says $4.00 so we sell it for $4.00. Besides, if we asked $40.00, it would hang around here for weeks."
    As for your bag, I love the craftsmanship in Clark's shoes, but sadly, my feet are too wide for them. But, one pair of men's Clark's dress shoes purchased years ago at Macy's with the old Rite Aid Plenti Points made it through several boys' choir, band and formal engagements. Donated them when the youngest outgrew them, and they looked as good as new.
    Even when I worked I couldn't fathom forking over big bucks for accessories. I just don't understand it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment