Sudden Loss

 

I've spent so much time away from home and blogging that I was so happy to return last month, hoping to spend more time keeping up with the house and posting to this blog.  Unfortunately, after being home only a few days, we were called to respond to a family emergency and had to leave town.  Hence, my return to blogging and then sudden absence. 

My brother in law's health had been seriously challenged over much of the last decade.  I spent weeks at his home, cleaning up years of accumulated belongings.  At that point, he'd been struggling with serious infections that were a result of diabetes.  He ended up losing his foot, having a below the knee amputation.  I stayed with him when he came home from the hospital and we worked together to achieve sufficient function for him to return to work (from home, of course).  While I don't want to go into what he did for a living, he was instrumental in New York State's fight against COVID.  We are so lucky our state had a good plan in place, as his family was able to be by his side at the end.  He received stellar care from a team of amazing nurses and doctors.  None of this would have been possible if we were in a state/town with an over-burdened hospital system.

My brother in law is now in peace and while I am a "non" when it comes to religion, I am grateful for the religious ceremony.  The Deacon and Father of the church were so comforting and understanding and we really did achieve a sense of closure.  This was devastating for  my husband and particularly difficult for me as well.  But all in all, we were happy to have it progress quickly without undue suffering.

I'll be taking chunks of time away as we deal with the estate.  There is a lot to be done, and although we live six hours away, we want to share the burden equally with the rest of the siblings.  Frank was a good brother to me.  He had many friends and colleagues who appreciated and respected him.  At 61, he was far too young to die.   All this has made me realize that we need to eat and exercise more responsibly.  We want to have many more healthy years in front of us, and it's just sad that my brother in law won't be part of it all.                              

Comments

  1. So very sorry about your brother in law. You are correct, 61 is way too young to die.

    Keeping busy and helping settle the estate is a good way to help with the grieving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Tying up loose ends will give the right kind of closure. Once the estate is settled and some of the chaos eliminated, we will be back to thinking of him in better days.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to read about Frank, 61 is no age, is it?
    You were a wonderful help to him and I'm sure your kindness must have been a huge comfort when he was so poorly.
    Sending you much love. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix. He deserved kindness because he was a thoughtful and considerate guy. He left a small collection of vintage ties which we don't need but I am thinking of keeping. I know there is an old school Irishman out there who would value them.

      Delete
  3. So very sorry about your loss. I am 61, so that hit close to home. Diabetes also runs in my family and I try to eat well so as not to develop that condition because of its devastating effects. I am glad he was not alone when he passed. I think that one of the most heartbreaking things about this pandemic is that so many people are dying alone. Also glad to know that the ceremony gave you some comfort even though, like me, you are non religious. Sometimes just the right things are said that make the pain a bit more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBG wants to revamp our diet and exercise routine to lose weight and be healthier. This was a wake up call. Thank you for your thoughts.

      Delete
  4. Sincere condolences on your loss. Please give TBG my sympathy as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. This is really a sad time for him.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Dora. While it was not a total surprise to me, it was much more sorrowful than I would have thought.

      Delete
  6. So sorry about your loss. My condolences...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment